China Adoption for Expats

ORIGINAL POST
Posted by DeniseG 17 yrs ago
Sorry to start yet another thread on China adoptions, but I can't seem to find answers to my questions. My husband and I are Australia and NZ expats, in HKG since 2000. It seems that because we reside in HKG we can't adopt from China. If in fact we lived in China or in Australia, then we could adopt from China. This makes no sense to me. Can anyone shed any light or know if this has ever been done before.

My other question concerns US domestic adoptions. Does anyone know if we are in a position to adopt from the US?

Thanks for any info.

Please support our advertisers:
COMMENTS
aemom 17 yrs ago
The problem with anyone coming from China to live in HK is the one-way permit. You probably could adopt a child but not be able to have it come to live in HK for several years. Lots of families are separated because of this unusual immigration feature.

Not sure about Aus & NZ, but Canadians have been adopting from the US for years. However, there are some changes now due to the Hague Convention (google it). This Canadian adoption website explains why they have halted US adoptions until the process is completed: http://www.sunriseadoption.com/adoptive_parents/WhatsHappeningInUS

From personal experience, I second cara's suggestion about local adoption!

DeniseG 17 yrs ago
Thanks aemom and dz, I'll follow up those contacts. We have an appointment with HK SWD in July to be put on the adoption list, but in the meantime we are looking at all options.

Thanks all.

jassy67 17 yrs ago
HK has adoption agreement with China, India, Philipines and Thailand. Have you tried going through them?

DeniseG 17 yrs ago
Thanks Jassy - they were the ones that told me I could only adopt from China as an Australian if I lived in China or if I lived in Australia. Maybe its just beause its never been done before. If you can think of anything else, I'd be most grateful.

Cheers

julie2 17 yrs ago
Hi Denise,

We're in the same situation coming from England; we can adopt from China if we reside in England, but not whilst we live HK. But when I looked into the adoption process for living in England, it seemed to take alot longer than local adoption in HK. Infact it seems that we're lucky to be in HK whilst condsidering adoption, the Social Welfare Dept here seems to be more efficient than in other countries - although we're still at the beginning of the process!

DeniseG 17 yrs ago
Hi Julie - yes I think you're right re the SWD here in Hong Kong, just that they can take a while. We haven't even had our introductory meeting yet and I applied in January! I was just getting anxious and wanting to cover all bases. So frustrating re the China criteria, can't quite understand it myself. Wishing you the best of luck.

Cheers

DeniseG 17 yrs ago
Hey Julie - after many phone calls, to the we've just been CCAA and Australian Embassy in China, they've allowed us to adopt from China as Australians living in Hong Kong! Ground breaking stuff, eh! So you might like to phone the CCAA and have a chat. Good luck.

julie2 17 yrs ago
Hi DeniseG - that's excellent news! We're going to a Group Briefing Session for HK adoption at the SWD next month, so we'll see what they have to say first!

jassy67 17 yrs ago
Just curious, but the HK adoption process is actually very efficient and much faster than China and other Countries. And alot cheaper. May I ask why you are choosing China over HK?

We just adopted here in HK (have had our daughter for 4 months now)

julie2 17 yrs ago
Jassy67 - congratualations! May I ask how long the assessment process took? Also, how long did it take to place you with a child once the assessment was approved? I just want to know how much of a wait we have.

missdj 17 yrs ago
julie2,

our process took longer than most, just over a year, as we were out of HK for 2 months (slowed things down) and some health issues as well. I have 2 friends who adopted and the process from first work shop to be approved took 8 months. We waited 4 1/2 months for a child, whereas 1 friend waited 4 months and 1 waited 8 months. If you want a girl under 6 months , the wait can be a little longer. Let me know if you have any other questions

julie2 17 yrs ago
Thanks for the info! The timing is quite encouraging, though of course I'm very impatient!

jassy67 17 yrs ago
The process and cost is a big plus for the local adoption. And you don't pay a cent, until you have been matched with a child.

We are thinking of adopting another child here in a year or so.

aemom 17 yrs ago
DeniseG:

Getting permission from the CCAA and the Australian embassy in China only allows an adoption to take place. But it doesn't address the issue of a Chinese passport holder (the baby)immigrating to Hong Kong. That requires permission from another Chinese government department and also from the HK Immigration Department.

I have facilitated adoptions from China to Canada. The Canadian government allows the immigration process to run parallel to the adoption process. After the homestudy is completed and the application sent to the CCAA, adoptive parents can apply for immigration for the baby using "name unknown at present". When a match has been made. the application is amended to include the child's name. I'm sure that's how it happens in the US and probably Australia.

But, is this an option for HK parents adopting from China? Or will you find that one parent must stay in China for several months until the one-way permit is issued?

Bob and Jane 17 yrs ago
Hi DeniseG,

I'm not sure whether this was answered before but we found out that to adopt in the US you need to be a citizen, green card or worker permit is not enough.

We are in a similiar position to you.

We were told that we have to be in HK or even China for a year before we can apply to adopt but can you submit your application in that time?

J&B.

tedlem 12 yrs ago
My wife and I looked into the adopting in Hong Kong. The Social Welfare Department did not make it very pleasing by presenting mentally challenging children as just like normal children. The statistics were not promising too. The mass majority of the children presented in Hong Kong are disabled.

Children available for adoption as at : 31 December 2011

# Characteristics of Children

-- --------------------------------------------------

0 Normal and healthy 0

10 Of relatively complicated family background

(e.g. abandoned children, birth parent was drug dependent, etc.)

18 Children aged 3 or above

12 With health issues

79 Disabled

119 Total

notaeuropean 10 yrs ago
Hey does anyone know if the above info from Tedlem is accurate (still)?

i.e. is it possible to get a healthy adopted child under 3? Or most of the options about the disabled?

An awful thing to say but would only be interested in a physically healthy one. i.e. no major health problem or disability.

Don't care if "abandoned" or "complicated family background"! That's normal!

notaeuropean 10 yrs ago
Also might add-- I am PR expat, wife is HK'er.

kewilly 9 yrs ago
HI NOTAEUROPEAN.. although a long time ago did you ever get an answer to your question? We are in a similar situation ourselves

< Back to main category

Login now
Ad