Seeking help with choosing adoption agency in HK

ORIGINAL POST
Posted by Jules_HK 14 yrs ago
Hi there

We are looking to adopt in HK but are confused about the options to use Social Services directly verus another agency (mothers choice). Neither body can assist by telling us why we should use them versus the other. Mothers Choice does appear to have an excellent reputation with respect to taking care of the children under its management but we are still not sure of the way to go. At the end of the day Social Services still does the matching process of child to parents, the pool of children are the same, the process appears the same? Can anyone offer any insight.

Many thanks

Please support our advertisers:
COMMENTS
angela f 14 yrs ago
Hi Jules,

As far as i know, u can apply to as many agencies as you want. I went to visit the Social welfare department directly today and yes the children are all from the same pool. I think in terms of the process it is all the same. I think some agencies may have their briefing sessions at different times from the Social welfare dept. I have sent an email to all the different agencies. Mothers choice and the welfare department got back to me straight away.

Good luck.

Ravenna 13 yrs ago
Jules, I adopted in HK recently. There are THREE adoption places in HK: Mother's Choice, Po Lung Kuk and the NSPCC (at Prince Edward). ALL three of these are filtered via the HK Social Welfare Dept. If you would like to chat in more detail, I would be happy to talk to you.

Pri perera 12 yrs ago
Hi, Are you all permanant residents in HK?

emonkey 12 yrs ago
Dear Pri Perera: Hi again, you don't need to be a permanent resident to adopt in Hong Kong. You can use any one of the three NGO agencies for your home study as Ravenna mentioned OR you can go directly to the Adoption Unit of the Social Welfare Department. Once your homestudy has been approved, you will be represented on the matching panel by whichever social worker from your agency has been handling your case. In other words, all the agencies and the government come together as "The Matching Panel" once every three weeks and try to come to consensus as to which parents should be matched to each child who needs a home and is ready to be adopted. So ultimately, the government does get involved with each case. After the child is matched to your family, a social worker will follow up with your family for six months until the adoption is finalized by the Courts. If your homestudy was done by SWD, then the social worker who is responsible for the child's case will follow up with your family. If your homestudy was done by one of the three NGOs, then I'm not sure who follows up. That's something I need to find out about. It's true that there needs to be more clarity about the differences in choosing SWD vs any one of the NGOs. Maybe this is something Adoptive Families of Hong Kong needs to work on with the agencies and government. www.afhk.org.hk. Cheers.

< Back to main category

Login now
Ad