painful hips

ORIGINAL POST
Posted by Claire 18 yrs ago
Sounds like you have Symphysis Pubis Dysfunction (SPD). It's caused by relaxin, a hormone released by your body which relaxes and softens the ligaments of your pelvis - which you need for giving birth but it doesn't help with the pregnancy.

And yes, SPD usually occurs earlier in the second pregnancy than the first and it also tends to progress a bit faster second time around.

It's often a good idea to see a physio who can give you exercises to do. But pelvic floor exercises are a good starting point because they will stablise your pelvis and lower back. Also a pelvic support belt can help you to get through the day. And try to keep your legs together, even when getting out of the bath. Do it slowly and engage your lower abs first.

A safe lower abdominal exercise:

1. Get onto your hands and knees and straighten your back so that it is roughly flat.

2. Breathe in and then as you breathe out, perform a pelvic floor exercise and at the same time pull your belly button in and up (at least as far as you can).

3. Hold this position for 5-10 seconds without holding your breath (!) and without moving your back (!).

4. Relax the muscles slowly at the end of the exercise.

Please support our advertisers:
COMMENTS
Claire 18 yrs ago
Cara> This happens, and it really SUCKS! The fact that it starts earlier and progresses faster in a second pregnancy double-triple SUCKS!!

Try doing your pelvic floor exercises wherever you are. You can do them even lying down, typing messages here or sitting on a dining room chair!

And it's not just you - it's a common problem.

There is a UK volunteer-run website called the Pelvic Partnsership for women with SPD. Has useful information.

http://www.pelvicpartnership.org.uk/index2.html

Also, although birth must seem like a long way off, consider post-natal pilates. It will help to tone things up "down here". Might even help with pregnancy number 3.

Main thing is to seek help. Pregnancy should be a time of joy and it's not fair you should be suffering so.

Claire 18 yrs ago
Worry about the saggy bits, cos we all will get saggy down there at some time or other - VB or not! LOL

looby 18 yrs ago
Cara. I suffered with the exact same thing with both of my pregnancies and it is the most excruciating pain imaginable, so I know exactly how you are feeling. No position is comfortable and I also had my legs give way on me which was especially scary when I was carrying my 2 yr old.

As I had both my children in the UK I can only comment on my treatment there, but it should be fairly similar. I had physio and was given the support belt to wear, which although it's fairly unattractive it did ease the pain quite a lot. The physio was very painful but would help for a couple of days. The physio is paricularly important after the birth to help your hips settle back into place properly. Iwas told that if I was planning baby number 3 then I should start the hip support and physio immediately. One of the reasons for not planning baby number 3 is the thought of suffering all that pain again.

Good luck cara. I hope you get some help and some relief from the pain soon.

Nicher 18 yrs ago
Hip joints are connected to the spine so your sitting/ standing position would affect the pain. I experienced similar hip pain couple times over the past few weeks. Doctor said it was just the ligaments too. There's nothing much we can do as our joints are supposed to be looser getting prepared for the delivery. I'd only expect it to worsen. But I did let hubby massage my back and spine. And miraculously the pain gradually faded. Then I figured whenever I walk/ stand too much I'll have this hip pain which lasts for a long time. So by all means, avoid walking/ standing too long.

Shermartelle 17 yrs ago
You can try prenatal massage - in general it can release you thru the hips, low back, and yes - pelvis. It can be painful (as u might imagine) to release the symphysis pubis, but it can be done quite simply. I'm a Registered Massage Therapist, and work in Central and Repulse Bay. We do a lot of prenatal massage in our clinic(http://www.sccentre.com.hk ) but you can have this done by anyone qualified...that is the key word - unlikley worth it for you to try asking for it at a local spa. I hope you feel better soon anyway!

Verellene 17 yrs ago
i thought i just had that problem... Most days i can barely walk or sit up or stand up. It feels like my hips are about to dislocate or something. Good to know im not the only one. Omg Cara thats terrible!!!! They didnt listen to you? I told my doctor with the first, the 2nd one i expected it and this 3rd one well..... its much worse. After #2 was delivered i couldnt move if i was on my back. My hips would lock up and id have to have hubby to turn me to my side so that i could slowly move my legs. Was terrible. I agree its one of the most terrible of pains during pregnancy and after. i wish you well Cara.

Shermartelle- I do get massages however, i have a question: Are you saying there is a way to skip over it and get right to opening up the symphysis pubis without the long drawn out pain?

Cara feel better hun!!! *hugs*

Verellene 17 yrs ago
Eww ur scaring me!!!! I hope i dont have something like that. My mom dislocated her hip when she was pregnant with her 3rd * my sister* and was in a wheelchair.

i am also done after this kid haha. I have a round ligament issue. I tore it first pregnancy and throughout 1st, 2nd and now 3rd the pain in my stomach is unbelievable.

I just thought my hips were out of place as i always tried to pop them back in. Almost every time it doesnt help but i keep trying haha. My back always pops though which helps some.

Its good that ur coming to terms with what happened. I would have been a wreck the entire time. Your strong to have gotten through that.

Is there no way to fix that problem so that if you could have another baby it wouldnt cause so much pain and such? However, its worse this pregnancy for me. Being #3 my bodys worn out a bit i think from having kids. I dread after the babys born when i cant move at all if i lay down. I thought my hips were out after i had the baby since all that pushing and such. And sadly after my 2nd the pain was so bad i ate alot of sweets to feel a bit happy haha. Sounds bad but sweets help some. I gained tons after her. This one i hope i dont do that.

Wish you the best of luck hun!!!

Verellene 17 yrs ago
LOL not sure if its a pleasure to push a baby out. But ur lucky to have not had contractions. I have contractions day and night with all 3 of my pregnancies. Due to that i usually dilate over a matter of weeks so when i do go into labor usually im done in a couple hours. #2 came 3 weeks early. I went in to get the routine check up that week and doctor checks me and freaks out i am dilated to 6cm. He asks me to go to the hospital to deliver.... I am so confused he didnt say why LOL. Then im like "i feel fine! No contractions right now" then he tells me "By the time you get home you will go into labor and wont make it back in time you will have that baby in the car." so i went downstairs and within 30 mins i was in full labor..... what a pain.... i usually skip the first and second phase of labor and go straight for the 3rd phase. Which makes it so unlucky and unpredictable. At least you get to pick the day.

Good luck and have a fun safe trip to Canada!!!!!

ikitty 9 yrs ago
Hi ladies. I need some recommendation on a orthopedist that is great with hip/joint pain caused by pregnancy. Can you recommend? Thanks in advance.

< Back to main category

Login now
Ad